Miss Sherry's Adventures. Love your life.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

I think I like Mondays

I have always wanted to work in an orphanage. Monday night I got my chance. That was the first of many nights that I will volunteer at a home for orphans. Each Monday evening for one hour I will teach (informally) English to a few children. My first time entailed sitting around a kitchen table with three children ages 11,11, and 12. Two boys and a girl. Oh, what fun! We talked and laughed, they learned a little English, I learned a little Korean.
There is a warmth radiating from that house. The women who work there are very kind and loving towards the children. I immediately felt at home. The kids are so sweet. They were eager to be near us and I had to restrain myself from scooping them up and squeezing them tight (thus frightening them)! The hour flew by and I did not want to leave. I asked if we could stay and play, but one of the sisters had to drive some of the other children back to another orphanage near our part of town. I cannot wait to go back!
The children ran alongside of the van as we drove away; it reminded me of Kenya. I am so happy that I get to see them every week and feel as though I am doing something good. As I walked home my heart was brimming over with joy. I wonder how they will react when I show up on the doorstep with my suitcase!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home