Miss Sherry's Adventures. Love your life.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Ready or not...

Man the Korean way can be frustrating at times! I am sitting at my desk when Mr. Kim comes in and says "Nancy..." I always know something is up when he calls my name. Apparently there is a musical he wants me to see. Okay, okay, music sure, I'm coming.
When I arrive, the mothers are singing a lovely song in Korean. Immediately after that the principal is talking away and I do not understand a word until I hear...you guessed it, "Nancy". He is holding a microphone out to me at the front of the room. As I make my way to the front I mumble "surprise!" to myself, as no one in the room speaks English. I fumbled my way through saying that I am from Canada, teacher there too, Mokpo very nice, etc. Afterwards the principal told them that I hardly speak Korean (I am guessing that is what he said as he was bowing like I do to him in the mornings and saying "see you tomorrow" as I do after school). My cheeks were even red. Me!
Today is not the first time this has happened. There was the time when I thought I was being led down the hall to go and prepare a speech that my co-teacher would translate, when instead I am thrust outside onto a stage in front of 1700 people (students/teachers/members of the education board) to talk about myself. Surprise!
At first I am frustrated, but when I re-read what I have written I have to laugh. Just like the other mishaps in my life, it makes for a good story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home