Miss Sherry's Adventures. Love your life.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Ode to alone time

Being "alone" this week has been divine. In the whirlwind of activity that comes with moving to a new continent (discovering my city, the neighbouring cities, the food, the job, the language, group of 40 other white people you automatically become a member of)I had forgotten about "me" time. I had a day here and there, but not like this week. Each day after work I came home and relaxed, read, fell asleep early, got up early, etc. One night I went to the bookstore and read English books! I even bought one; one of the silly Shopaholic books that has kept me feeling light and laughing at Becky Bloomwood's hilarious mishaps.
The need for retreat came after last week's Jeju Island adventure. I left that trip feeling emotionally exhausted. When I feel emotionally exhausted, I see things in a different light, but it also forces me to stop and re-examine. At the beginning of the week I wanted to be alone because I did not feeling like "sharing" myself with anyone. As the week wore on, I began to have fun, to look forward to getting home alone, wondering how I would enjoy my evening. Now let me clarify: Staying home alone because you want to is very different than staying home alone because you are isolated, haven't many friends, etc. When the choice is not available to spend time with people you enjoy, well that is simply not fun! (I have also had that experience!)
The change came mid-week after having a webcam date with my mom. Man, we have the best talks! I can be myself with her; the good, the bad, and the ugly. I was starting to feel rested, and after talking with her, many things were sorted out in my head. This allowed me to put down my suitcase of disconnection, isolation, lonliness, and frustration that I had been dragging around for the past few weeks. Now, I said I put in down, but I have not yet put all those things in their proper place. I suspect that will come in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home