Miss Sherry's Adventures. Love your life.

Friday, December 01, 2006

First I should say that the children here are wild. Like wild horses. They are loud, lack respect for the English teachers (because we do not use physical punishment), hit each other, fight on the playground constantly, and there is too much bullying going on that no one responds to.
Now, the children at my school are being forced into conformity by the teachers and many of the adults around them. There is a certain way that they are expected to conduct themselves, certain beliefs they must have, and definitely certain foods they must eat. This mentality falls in line with the Confucisism (spelling?) way. Everyone should be the same.

Well everybody knows that children are not all the same. They have distinct personalities, regardless of who their teachers think they should be. And the children rebel in any way they can, hence the wild horse syndrome.

Today I was watching the grade fours from the window in my office, and I could not help but chuckle. First a chuckle, then an all out guffaw! The teachers wanted the children to follow them to a designated location. The teacher blows the whistle and walks ahead of the students and they are to follow behind. Instead of walking, as the teacher was, each child started doing something different. It was so funny! They were skipping, marching, twirling, stomping, spinning, you name it, they were doing it. The teacher was swatting at those closest to her, but the whole class was carrying on like that. It was great!

Watching them gave me a little insight into what I am dealing with here. It is hard for me to understand why they are so out of control. Now I realize that they are just trying to express themselves. This realization may not make my job easier, but it sure makes me a little happier.

1 Comments:

  • Hard to believe that they don't explode! They go from getting yelled at in class to punished in their after school academies.

    Let them be kids! Or Monsters... depending on which children you are talking about!
    HA

    By Blogger Brent, at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home