Miss Sherry's Adventures. Love your life.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

A look back at the week...

Three out of nine of my students won prizes at the English contest. I am very proud of them! On the way home afterwards I had the most wonderful conversation with one of the girls. Her English is quite good and she is life smart. We talked about how much time Korean children spend studying, and how stressed out and tired they are. She says she hears stories of children committing suicide because they can't handle the pressure or they did not do well on an exam. When I asked her if she was stressed, she said no, she does not study too hard! She has never gotten less than an "A" and knows that it is a good mark. She told me her mom worries and tells her to study more, but she is happy the way she is. Hurray! I told her she is very smart. We also talked about the quality of life and how if you are always working you may have two cars and a nice house, but no time to spend with you family. It was really interesting having a conversation like this with a 12 year old!

The team teaching presentation went well and I have noticed a change in the way "M" and I interact with one another. She has been much happier and easier to work with. She even invited me out for dinner this Friday. I am looking forward to a better working relationship.

Yesterday I went out with one of my students and her mom and sister. We had the most delicious lunch (pork bbq), went for coffee at the bookstore, then to their house for chatting and more food cooked by the father. The family lived in Singapore for one year and the girls attended an American English school, so there English is quite good. The mother speaks quite well and is not at all afraid to try as so many Koreans are. I had a really good time!

Today I am going for coffee with my friends I go to the orphanage with (we are planning our Halloween party!)and then out for dinner with another Korean family. I am ready for another week of interesting experiences and more life lessons!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home